Friday, November 21, 2008

Surgery Day...

I sent this to my friend Rachel...and it summarized it all pretty well...so I'm just C&P here....
**********************************************************************************

WOW! What a LONG day!! Mike's surgery was supposed to start at 8:30....but got pushed back to 9:30 for some reason-I'm guessing they got behind with one surgery-and a domino effect. He told us that it would take anywhere from an hour and half to 3 hours...at 3 1/2 hours-I was getting REALLY nervous. He finally came out to talk to me!

This is what we know. His tubes are clear. Which is a GOOD thing. That means that if he is producing sperm-there isn't a blockage and that will prevent them from getting through. HOWEVER, that does mean-that if he is producing them, there is a blockage in the testicle itself....which is just as serious of a problem as if there was a blockage in the tubes. However, that isn't a for sure thing. The only way they will know that is when all of the pathology reports come back-which could take anywhere from a week to 2 weeks. The main report he ran-was just to test the biopsy that he took to see if there were any sperm present. If not, then we know that is just the way he was born...and we move on. However, if there are-then we go back to the dilemma-on whether or not the blockage in the testicle itself is fixable. The dr. said it's a tough call-and just as invasive of a surgery as the orginal BIG one of the tubes that we had originally thought we would need. But before he talks about all of that he wants to get all of the test results back.

So once again we are left wondering and questions unanswered...but at least in the next few weeks we should have some kind of an idea as to what is going on.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband fell into the "just born that way" camp. I knew when we got married that he would definitely have infertility issues we just didn't know the extent. It's all so tough!!! Good luck! I hope they're able to get a few of the little guys out!!

Erica said...

I am so glad that the surgery is over and you two are on your way to having some concrete answers. I know that will make things a lot easier for both of you. I'm glad to hear that you are recovering from the food poisoning, too. I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers. You are getting closer every day to seeing the path that you need to be on.

E said...

It will be so good to finally know what's going on...even if it's not the news you want, it will be good in that you'll know how you need to move forward to build your family. Best of luck to you both.

Echloe said...

I'm that the surgery went o.k. and that you will have some answers soon. Hoping and praying that they find sperm.

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about the two of you. I hope Mike is feeling OK. We keep praying.

theworms said...

I hope you DH is recovering well. Sending you lots of prayers. GL!