Tuesday, June 24, 2008

2 years ago Today...

Was one of the happiest days of my life! Mike and I got married at 1:30 in the afternoon on a warm summer day in St. Paul. It was a beautiful day and I remember being abnormally calm. Everyone told me I would be a mess that morning. I was quite the opposite. It was pouring rain, the florist was late-or so we thought (when in reality the flowers were at the church for an hour-just in the wrong place), I had a bridal party of 22 and they were running around like crazy getting dressed....then there was me-pretty calm-just kind of taking it all in. I was a bit stressed about the flowers, but I remember thinking-ok...well if she totally flaked on me-there is a floral shop down the street....and I'll send my personal attendant there figure something out. But in the end-it was fine. The flowers were upstairs and they were BEAUTIFUL.

Pictures went by without a problem and while we were downstairs of the church while everyone was filing in, I remember looking around at all of my bridesmaids and laughing and thinking-wow-I'm really getting married. This is the day that I've been waiting for my ENTIRE life. I was so happy. I remember thinking about Mike and all that was going through his head. I knew how emotional he was-and I wondered if he would cry when he saw me. Then my mom came down and told us it was time to line up. I froze...."Wait...what? It's time...it can't be time-I'm not ready!" I was ready-but I was not emotionally ready for walking down that isle to see my future husband standing there...I wasn't ready to give my dad a hug for the last time as his single daughter. I wasn't ready!
Well I was ready-I was more than ready...I was just scared of the emotions that I could feel. I went upstairs and saw my dad....and immediately started crying. I was his little girl. Although he has 7 daughters he treated us all like we were his little girls. We were his princesses. And then he started to cry-and then I really lost it.
We walked down the isle....and he told me how much he loved me...and he gave me away and said to Mike..."This is my little girl...take care of her-and promise me you won't hurt her." Mike shook his hand..and said: "I wouldn't hurt her for anything." And at that moment I walked up the stairs to the altar and thought...how is it possible to love him any more than I already do? Well the day after and every day since-I love him more than I did that day.
He makes me so incredibly happy. Growing up and dating some real "winners" I never thought it would be possible to be as loved as I am now. I have trouble allowing myself to feel loved for whatever reason...but he has such an unconditional love for me-it's almost scary. And the same goes for me. I love him more than words could ever say. He's all that I've ever wanted-plus more. I can't wait to grow old with him.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I love it! And isn't it amazing how has the years pass you can truly love him more?

What a great recap of your wedding day!