Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Please tell me I'm normal.....Please....

2 posts in one day...I know you guys are about falling off your chairs...but I need to vent and get a few things out...and I just need to be reassured that I'm normal...and if I'm NOT NORMAL...than please just tell me so I can figure out-how to become "normal" (What is that really) in the next few weeks.

I'm going to be a mom....in just a few weeks-if all goes as planned...which my heart and mind believe it will-but let's be real-many things could change....regardless mommyhood is around the corner. I'm petrified. I was thinking early about when we leave the hospital....after baby is born...The vision...of "here you go!" here's your kid...be on your way came into my mind. And then...I thought "NOW WHAT?!!" Now what do we do? How do we know when he's hungry, hurting, happy, content, sick.....I'd like to think I have a ton of maternal instincts-but with my own child are they really going to come out? Am I going to have any clue how to take care of this child?

Than of course the emotional side of things comes out-and I think-can I emotionally handle this child?? I mean-I'm emotionally stable....but this is going to be a HUGE life change for us...a PERMANENT LIFE CHANGE!!! Are we ready?

Financially?!?! Can we afford this child? We're not destitute...don't get me wrong...but let's face it-kids cost money!!! And while I will give him everything in my power plus more....I'm worried...I would be lying if I said I wasn't.

So please tell me this fear is normal. I feel like the Devil is totally working on my heart to lack peace of mind...and I hate it....but I also want to know....are these fears/worries normal???

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is completely normal! I remember waking up in a cold sweat a couple weeks before Ella was born thinking... "OMG! What did I get myself into???" It dawned on me all of the sudden, how irrevocable this was. lol I knew I WANTED her. lol It wasn't that, but I was suddenly very very scared. It's normal. I think all new moms go thru it. Just wait, you'll feel the same way if you decide on number 2, wondering if you can really handle or love both children the same. But you do, you adjust and life moves on.

Amanda said...

I just ran across your blog from another, so I've never commented before. But as a new mother myself, I can tell you this is very normal!! I was terrified right before Patrick was born. And it is amazing how fast you learn what they need or want. It's like a secret language between a baby and his parents. Good luck with everything!!

Kellie said...

I feel everything you feel and more! It's totally normal. And yes I totally stress out about the fact that I'm going to be a mom and it will change my life COMPLETELY! It's scary but so exciting!

Sarah said...

I'm going through the exact same thing right now. I've been freaking out for a solid 2-3 days now. :(

Rachel said...

Totally normal!!!! I felt all those ways before Brighton. Now moving onto adoption for baby #2 I still have the same fears! And I've had two kids before (with S!)

leah @maritalbless said...

Totally, totally normal.

Sarah said...

I just nominated you for an award:
http://bunchesofburches.blogspot.com/2009/11/back-in-saddle-award.html

Doripink said...

Not worrying about that stuff would be weird...you are very normal. I remember when our son was born, we were blessed enough to get a room at the hospital and were able to spend the whole night with him in our room (just as if I had given birth to him). I remember at about 8pm (we had been at the hospital since 5am for a scheduled C-section), my hubby took our 4 yr old back to the hotel. He asked me if I wanted him to come back and I told him NO, go get a good night sleep, I'll be fine. WEEELLLLL..... about 1 hour later I heard the smallest, cutest, helpless little cry I had ever heard. I remember picking up this little 6 lb baby, laying him on the bed next to me, unswaddling his tiny body and then crying (sobbing) thinking, I CAN'T DO THIS. I had already raised a daughter (now 4), but looking at this new precious little boy, it seemed completely overwhelming!
Well, I am happy to say, he is now a very active 14-month old. Just remember this....they don't break as easily as you think :) and all they really need is your love.
You'll be great!!!!

theworms said...

It is normal and it is scary and it is life-changing but it is also the most amazing thing ever!

Congrats on finally getting due date. Praying the next few weeks pass smoothly and you are holding your baby in your arms very soon.

It is going to be the most amazing Christmas :)

Momma said...

Just checkin in to see how things are going. Hoping all is well and looking forward to an update.

Blessings,
Angie (NJ)